Monday, December 19, 2011

Spicy Kale Lasagna

It tastes as good as it looks!

We've been doing Meatless Mondays at our house for the last month. I don't think I could ever be a full-on vegetarian, but I certainly see the health benefits of limiting your meat intake. Plus, Will hates meat (seriously, the child eats NO MEAT). So I'm always looking for recipes that he'll enjoy as well.

However, we're not all veg-heads at our house. Ben is very much a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so while he goes along with Meatless Monday, he doesn't exactly look forward to it. I haven't been able to produce a meatless entree that he's actually enjoyed. Until tonight.

Allow me to introduce my first husband-approved Meatless Monday meal: Spicy Kale Lasagna.

I got the recipe from my friend Nicole over at Baby Food Scoops. And let me tell you, it's awesome. Really easy to make, and packed with green, leafy kale goodness.

I followed Nicole's recipe to the letter, except for one substitution. Instead of cottage cheese, I used 15 oz. of part-skim ricotta and one egg. But that's simply due to personal preference. I don't really care for cottage cheese.

There's some excess water in this lasagna due to the kale, so I would advocate for buying the no-boil noodles. Less water in your noodles = less water in your lasagna. And definitely take Nicole's advice to let the lasagna sit for a few minutes before eating. We let ours rest for 10 minutes after it came out of the oven, and it was perfect.

Husband-approved and all-around delicious. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to contribute to your Monday! I'm always looking for more to do with my kale aside from soups.. so this totally intrigued me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another note.. I love ricotta as well.. sometimes I seriously throw cottage cheese through a food processor if I'm out of ricotta :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!